Health & Beauty

Sex & Love

Style

Recipes

Photo of the Remarkables mountain range in Queenstown, New Zealand.

Friday 29 May 2015

Ladies..Have You Heard Of The Revolutionary Menstrual Tool?????


 
So started my period when I was 13, which is 8 years ago or 22 years ago depending on who you ask, me or my birth certificate. Anyway I used sanitary pads for a few years and found them very uncomfortable, especially at night time. I always had this constant fear of leakage and I hated the smell. So a few years down the line a friend introduced me to tampons and oh my days, that changed my life. I stopped dreading my periods, the smell was no longer an issue and as long as changed regularly, there was no leakage plus I could flush them down the toilet, so no more wrapping pads in paper or bags and then throwing in the bin. I thought problem solved.

I did read the leaflet that came with my tampons when I first started, so I knew about the increased risk of TSS, toxic shock syndrome. TSS is rare life-threatening infection caused by bacteria invading and releasing poisonous toxins into the bloodstream. It can occur suddenly and can be fatal. The tampons we use create an excellent breeding ground for the causative bacteria. And although TSS is quite rare, somehow knowing that does not reassure me. I mean 3 in 100,000 people annually might seem like a small number to some people but I’m not sure the 3 affected will see it that way.
So what other alternative is there to tampons and pads? Well I stumbled across an article in a pharmaceutical journal few weeks ago talking about a product called menstrual cups. I remember talking to a company rep about it a few years ago but found it a bit ‘arrgh’ at the time but now that I am “younger” and wiser I have given it a chance come full circle and I absolutely love it.
A menstrual cup is a reusable silicone cup that basically sits in your vagina and catches/collects your period. You empty it every 4-8hours into the toilet and then rinse or wipe and reinsert. It is quite pricey for a menstrual tool, about $30, but it will save you money in the long run because it lasts about 10years, so it’s an investment. I can do everything I could do with the tampon with the menstrual including swimming. In addition to being economical it is also environmentally friendly and it is healthier and won’t cause vaginal dryness associated with using tampons. It also enables you to be able to gauge how much blood you lose each month in case you need to tell your doctor or gynaecologist, because it has measurement markings.
It is a bit of a learning curve when you first start using it, like when you started your periods and had to learn to use pads, but you quickly get the hang of it. It comes in 2 sizes, one for younger ladies and pre vaginal delivery and the other for older ladies and post vaginal delivery. There are many different ones out there and they all look alike and work exactly the same and are similar prices just be sure to choose the right size for you and let me know how you get on. For more information visit www.mooncup.co.uk . I recommend watching the video.
Copyright of June’s secrets 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment