Health & Beauty

Sex & Love

Style

Recipes

Photo of the Remarkables mountain range in Queenstown, New Zealand.

Friday 15 May 2015

Are you washing your face right? Yeah I thought I was too!



I spent a fortune on face washes. I tried every one I could get my hands on but still had breakouts and my skin never quite glowed like I wanted. I always thought it was the product I was using, that I just hadn't found the right one for me. It never occurred to me that the way I was washing my face and not the just product I was using could actually be the problem. Washing your face the wrong way can cause dryness, irritation, oiliness and breakouts. Here are a few tips to consider when washing your face.

1. Use the right water temperature - Contrary to popular beliefs pores DO NOT open or close. They do not any muscles to enable them to. So I don't know where people got the notion that hot water opens your pores and cold water closes them. Hot water, whilst it feels great, does not open your pores it just  disrupts your skin's natural protective oils and causes overproduction of sebum. Lukewarm water is best to cleanse the face. It is gentle yet effective. 

2. Pick the right product - The right facial cleanser should be tough enough to remove makeup and dirt but gentle enough to not leave your skin feeling dry or striped of all its natural oils. If you are struggling to find the right product for you, may I suggest the African black soap, it is gentle and cleans thoroughly if you get the right consistency. If you usually get the raw soap then add a lot of glycerine and a little Shea butter to counteract the drying effect it can have on your skin.

3. Do not overdo it - Washing once or twice a day is adequate, anymore and you could irritate your skin and lead to overproduction of oil. If you don't wear makeup or sweat much on a day then just use lukewarm water to wash your face so you its gets a break from the barrage of products you put on it.

4. When it comes to exfoliation, think mo-de-ra-tion - Exfoliate twice weekly not daily. And use your fingertips to apply the product not a wash cloth or sponge to avoid pulling and tugging of the skin.

5. Rinse your face thoroughly - Not rinsing your face properly can cause build up of products which will clog up the pores.The jawline, hairline and nose are the most commonly neglected parts especially when you are in rush or just dog tired.

6. Avoid products that contain irritating ingredients - Ingredients like parabens and sodium lauryl sulphate (SLS) can cause skin irritations so best to stir clear of them. Another reason to try the natural African black soap. Or Neutrogena and Cetaphil have a range of facial cleansers that are parabens and SLS-free.

7. Always PAT Never RUB - Rubbing tugs and pulls your skin which puts the elastin in your skin at risk. Elastin is an elastic fibrous glycoproteins which works with collagen to create skin strength, firmness and shape. So pat dry to keep signs of ageing at bay.

8. Moisturise immediately after washing - For maximum absorption apply your moisturiser immediately after washing and patting dry whilst the the skin is slightly damp. Waiting until the skin is completely dry makes it harder for the active ingredients to be absorbed. If you are looking for a moisturiser I recommend raw African Shea butter.

1 comment: