Health & Beauty

Sex & Love

Style

Recipes

Photo of the Remarkables mountain range in Queenstown, New Zealand.

Sunday 3 May 2015

Why do I feel so tired just before and during my period


I noticed a few months ago that about a week before my period I would suddenly feel very lethargic even though my pace of life was exactly the same. I would fall asleep before my head hit the pillow and if I didn't get at least the full 8hours sleep a night I couldn't function properly the day after. The tiredness improves after my period starts and then my energy level returns to normal until the next period.

 So I started taking high dose evening primrose because it helped me a few years back when I had very bad PMS and was a total nutcase for 2 weeks every month (my poor husband). It helped a bit I didn't feel as tired but I still felt more tired than I normally would.

As they say knowledge is power so I started my research. And it turns out that the fall in the level of the hormone oestrogen as you approach your period can cause lethargy and this should cease as the oestrogen levels start to increase again after the period.

However if the fatigue lasts longer or you feel tired all the time on or off your period then it might be due to iron-deficiency anaemia. See your doctor for a blood test to confirm and then he will probably prescribe you some iron tablets if that’s the case.

Things you could do to help alleviate symptoms:

1.     Eat right. Plenty of fresh fruits and vegetable and absolutely no junk foods.

2.     Exercise ! Exercise! Exercise!

3.     Get at least 8 hours sleep a night more if possible.

4.     Take multivitamins daily especially ones made specifically for women as it will contain calcium and  evening primrose which will help in hormone balance.
© June's Secrets 2015






 

No comments:

Post a Comment